People are familiar with hitch bike racks. Many bikers prefer to use them. A hitch bike rack refers to a type of rack that slides into the receiver of a trailer hitch for vehicles such as a car, truck, or SUV.
Hitch bike racks are great for transporting your road, mountain, and electric bikes. These racks can be used to transport your bikes and make it easy to load and unload them.
While more people are considering buying them, others are worried about their safety. The safety of hitch bike racks is important. Let’s find out what we can do!
Why Do You Need a Hitch Bike Rack?
You can attach a hitch bike rack to your vehicle. The car will be aerodynamically stable because of this. These racks are often regarded as the best for protecting vehicles.
Why Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack?
Before you buy a bike rack, there are some things and questions that you should ask. Let’s begin with them without further delay.
What are you carrying?
There are many options. You could have a number of skis, paddleboards or bikes. Make a list of the activities that you are going to engage in and make a plan. It is likely that you will have to spend more money on a bike you don’t like.
What is the model of your vehicle?
You should choose the bike rack that best suits your vehicle. There are many options available depending on the type of vehicle you have, whether it’s an SUV, a pickup, or a sedan. Many bike rack manufacturers offer user manuals that will help you determine the right rack for your needs.
Types of Hitch Bike Racks
There are many types of hitch-mounted racks. Most racks can be classified into one of two types: Platform (Wheel mounted) or Hanging style racks. These racks can hold other bikes, however. For example, trikes, recumbents, tandems, etc. Let’s now discuss the specific features of these categorized racks.
- They make loading and unloading easier.
- It can hold a wide range of bikes.
- Frames are rarely in contact with them.
- These racks are especially effective in eliminating swinging problems.
Hanging Styled Racks
- These racks are very cost-effective, making them affordable for anyone.
- They are also lighter than platform-styled racks.
- You will need adapter bars to make an alternate-frame bike.
- They can hold 2-5 bikes.
Hitch Bike Racks are Safe and Effective
The advantages of hitch bike racks over trunk-mounted or roof-mounted bikes are numerous. They come in many styles so that people can pick the one that suits their preferences. Here are some other benefits:
- These racks are more aerodynamic than roof-mounted racks.
- They are easier to load-unload bikes than the trunk- and roof-mounted racks.
- You can also get them with a greater capacity.
- They provide far greater security than trunk-mounted racks.
- These racks can be used with many more vehicles than trunk-mounted racks.
- These doors also eliminate overhead clearance problems with garage doors, which are more common than roof-mounted bikes.
Drawbacks of Hitch Bike Racks
There are always cons to any purchase, no matter how high-end they may be. There are a few things you need to know about hitch bike racks.
- The most advanced hitch rack models can cost a lot. These models can be quite expensive so you might need to spend a lot.
- You might find that the bike swings a lot at times.
- Even the most basic models can make it difficult to access the trunk. If you have to open the trunk and close it constantly, it can feel like a nuisance.
Are Hitch Bike Racks Safer?
According to many online surveys, hitch racks are preferred over other racks. You should get a trunk hatch if you don’t already have one. These racks can protect your vehicle from any damage. Normally, they don’t have much contact with the cars they attach to. There is little risk of damage to vehicles and they are considered safe.
Racks with this feature can carry heavier loads than racks without. You don’t need to worry about your best mountain bikes and vehicles being safe if they are properly fitted.
Is it Safe to Install a Hitch by Myself?
Yes, it’s safe. There is nothing to worry about if you’re willing to install the hitchrack. You can save money by installing the hitch rack yourself and not having to pay for it to a service provider. These racks can be customized to fit your needs. Installation instructions are provided in the manual.
Other Safety Concerns
You might also have safety concerns. In the next segment, we’ll cover as many as possible.
Visibility of Lights
Bike racks can block your vehicle’s taillights, making it difficult to see the signals at times. Other vehicle drivers might be confused if there is a car ahead or behind you if you’re driving at night. This can cause serious damage. If you don’t want to be pulled over by the police, we recommend that you use a lightboard for safety.
Visibility of number plates
Visibility of number plates is essential; it helps you avoid other problems. This is something that most police officers do not bother with. However, you should always have a lightboard in your vehicle. Otherwise, the insurance companies might get suspicious. You don’t need to get in trouble when you can do it all with a lightboard. They also account for safety precautions.
Hitch-mounted bike racks can be wriggling or swinging. This is why hitch-mounted bike racks are so popular. These hitch-mount racks have anti-wobble knobs to prevent them from swaying. When tightening the knob, we recommend that you lift the rack and move it around. This will ensure a perfect fit.